The coolest event in Waterloo Region is back for 2021.
And this time, it’s going virtual.
Traditionally held in downtown Kitchener, Tacofest features pairings of numerous local restaurants and breweries engaging in a friendly competition, with attendees able to vote for their favourite tacos and brews alongside local celebrity judges. This year, Tacofest will occur via a specialized virtual platform on Friday, June 18, with tickets going on sale at noon on Wednesday, May 05.
Tacofest will feature virtual brewery tours, Q&A panels with participating chefs and restauranteurs, music, and interactive activities, with attendees obtaining a Tacofest at Home kit featuring tacos for two from a local restaurant, tall cans from a paired brewer, activity supplies, collectables, and more.
The spirit of the event is two-fold: It serves as a fundraiser for local non-profit Community Support Connections, as well as a celebration of the region’s local restaurant and brewery scene.
“We have developed some amazing partnerships with local businesses over the past nine years, and we are grateful for the profound impact their participation has had on enabling us to help people continue to live at home,” said Rosalind Horne of Community Support Connections. Tacofest has traditionally been the largest fundraising effort for the local agency, a non-profit that enables over 6,600 older adults and people with different abilities in the region to continue to live independently in their own homes.
“It’s support from individuals and businesses like those who participate in Tacofest that help us to continue providing for basic needs during this pandemic, like delivering Meals on Wheels, or the over $148,000 worth of groceries we have been able to deliver to those unable to get out of their house this past year.”
Tacofest at Home kits for two are priced at $100 and will include:
1) Access code to the virtual event
2) Tacofest at Home kit including:
- Tacofest sample glasses and napkins, as well as supplies for interactive activities to take place during the virtual event
- Cold taco for two kit to be reheated at home by attendee
- Four tall cans from your paired brewer
- Dessert prepared in our Meals on Wheels kitchen by Chef Paula Ross and her team
- Optional add-on for kids’ activity kit so parents can focus on the party
- Info about Tacofest vendors, sponsors, and Community Support Connections